Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Good Fit

Something I've learned in my short career in music:

You can't force things.

Whether it be a song, a show, marketing, anything really...good things take time.
If a song begins to frustrate me too much, I just let it go. If it's meant to be it'll come back.
I think the best art is made in the midst of a pure emotion or idea. If I have to break something down TOO much then to me it becomes more science then art. That's not to say I don't spend hours and hours of time crafting a certain song or idea, but there's a line where it's just not fun anymore and time to move on. Everyone has their own line.


The thing that excites me about this new album is that nothing has felt forced.
I spent Tuesday night in the studio working with guitarist Bob Boulding and engineer/producer Shawn Nourse. I am beyond blessed to be working with both of these guys this early on in my career. Both are world-class musicians(Bob is the guitarist for Young Dubliners, and Shawn plays currently with I See Hawks in LA and before that with the famous Dwight Yoakam), and are so easy to work with. The thing you worry about when recording an album is making sure your true voice comes across on the record. You want your music to sound as true to your vision as possible, and that is way harder said then done.

But so far with these guys and everyone else who's worked on the album, it's been so easy.
Everyone understands the overall concept, yet each have put their own unique stamp on songs that always make me say "WOW" to something I've heard a million times before.

I hope this keeps up. It's been so much fun and to this point such an enjoyable process.






No comments:

Post a Comment