Monday, June 8, 2009

Monday Morning Thoughts (Catch-22)

I’m just coming back from a much needed and much appreciated week-long vacation. Life’s a little “up in the air” at the moment because job eliminations will be taking place at my work this week. Some things you just can’t control. But some you can. I’ve got my coffee and I’ve got my thoughts:


* On Saturday I performed at what I said last week was a “Special Event.” The event was a 16 yr old girl’s birthday party and it turned out to be one of the more gratifying shows I’ve done thus far in my career(I know that sounds odd, but it was great). She had about 50 friends and family members at the party and all of them were courteous enough to give me their full attention for the hour that I performed. A lot of them knew the songs(which was cool) and the birthday girl came on stage and sang a couple with me as well. Overall it was a good time. It’s too bad the kids got all pissy when I tried to charge them $10 a piece at the end of the night :)

* I wrote a post last week about having my CD sold in a store for the first time (you can read it below). I talked about the path I took to get it there. What I forgot to mention in the post, is how appreciative I am of everyone who has helped me along the way. It sounds cliché, but I really would be nowhere near where I am now if it weren’t for the people like you who come to the shows, buy CD’s and T-Shirts, help get me on TV and in newspapers, and read this Blog. I just can’t and never will be able to do all that on my own. I truly thank you and hope to have you around for years to come.

* In the past few months I’ve received quite a few pieces of advice from people in the music industry about the best way to carve out your own career path. I’m going to write a blog soon that speaks about this advice. Though it’ll be tailored toward music, the insights and advice should benefit anyone currently working toward some goal.

* I’m not a movie critic and you probably don’t come to me for a “thumbs-up” or “thumbs- down” on any particular film…but “The Hangover” is pretty damn funny. That’s all I’ll say.

* I never want a big corner office.

* This weekend I heard one of the first songs I learned to play on the guitar… “First Cut is the Deepest”…the Sheryl Crow version. It made me laugh because my roommate at the time, Kyle, absolutely hated the song…I would play it as loud and as often as I could for him.

* I hope you get to do something that pushes your boundaries this week.



At a party given by a billionaire on Shelter Island, Kurt Vonnegut tells his friend, Joseph Heller, that their host, a hedge fund manager, had made more money in a single day than Heller had earned from his wildly popular novel Catch-22 over its whole history.

Heller said, “Yes, but I have something he will never have: Enough.”
-
From Derek Sivers’ blog

No comments:

Post a Comment