Thursday, June 11, 2009

Paradise

I’ve been asked many times before, “Wouldn’t it be great to win the lottery”? or, “Wouldn’t it be awesome to write a hit song, get rich, and just hang out”?

My initial reaction… absolutely! Send me the check! I’ll take a free pass for a while. Get “Free Parking” (last Monopoly reference I promise). Wouldn’t life be better if you could wake up every morning whenever your bones felt completely rested? Spend hours each day lounging on a beach while the waves crashed softly in the background?

Ya that'd be nice. But that’s just a great vacation.

Don’t get me wrong… I LOVE A GREAT VACATION. And I would gladly accept the benefits of a “hit song” anytime (like I said, send the check).

But in all honesty, getting rich quick and then twiddling my thumbs sounds fun for a while. I’d have a hell of a time… but not forever. To me, sitting around not really doing anything, beach or wherever, would become as mundane as sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day…there’s really no difference. Except the tan maybe.

Derek Sivers puts it nicely… “We all need some time off. A change of scene and pace. Silence and solace if we’re stressed. Reckless adrenaline if we’re in a rut.

But for those of us who think that an eternal escape from work would be paradise, don’t forget that we all need a playground…”

My real and constant vacation is in learning and doing new things. Even if I did win the lottery I’d still NEED to do something that excites me.

We all want to do things that add value. We want to get better and be better people. That’s why we volunteer, go back to school, start businesses, visit with family, and run marathons. Because it makes us feel good. Makes us feel alive.

That wouldn’t turn off just because you hit the jackpot.

My ultimate paradise is more a chord progression than a remote beach in Figi.


“If you observe a really happy man you will find him building a boat, writing a symphony, educating his son, or looking for dinosaur eggs in the Gobi Desert.”
Australian psychiatrist W. Béran Wolfe



And by the way… if you do win the lottery we should go to Vegas…

No comments:

Post a Comment