Monday, July 6, 2009

Monday Morning Thoughts(4th of July)

This is the first Monday that I am not jotting these down sporadically from a cubicle in Irvine. Instead I'm writing before I take off for the day to coach basketball. I've given up the 8 to 5 desk-job life and traded if for one of music, coaching, teaching, and maybe a pyramid scheme or two(joke).  The mornings are filled with more uncertainties, but more possibilities...
and for now, that makes me happy.


* I always find it funny that people send weight and height measurements of their newborn child to friends and family. It's the only time in life that we do that. 

*  We had a great turnout for our first show in Hollywood at Genghis Cohen last Thursday. I'm not a big fan of L.A. in general, but it was nice to visit for a show and hang out with friends after.We'll be back again soon!

* There are 2 major projects I'm working on at the moment, each which take up considerable amounts of time. The first is finishing the album "Colors and Chords", and the second is putting together a West Coast Tour once the album is released. I'll talk about both of these things more once the get closer to completion.

* I did a couple of things to celebrate the 4th of July. In the morning I rode down to Newport Beach for about and hour. And then in the afternoon I went to my friend's house in Irvine to hang out the rest of the night. Riding my bike around in the morning felt like I was in some sort of "cool contest." Everyone in Newport was trying to look as hip and impressive as possible on every corner...in the afternoon my friends and I jumped around in a "bounce house" and reenacting "Free Willy" in the pool... not hard to guess where I'd rather be any day.

* I've used my business degree in my music career far more than I ever did at my former job.
The toughest thing to do at the moment is coming up with marketing tactics for the new album. Not that I'm void of any ideas or advice. It's that fact that there are SO many things a musician can do these days that it's almost overwhelming. You obviously can't do all of them and have to pick a few that will benefit you the most and just go for it.

* We have 2 big shows this month before the album is released: July 16th at The Doll Hut in Anaheim, and July 19th at Blue Cafe in Long Beach. More info to come.

*  Have a great week!


"Music should go right through you, leave some of itself inside you, and take some of you with it when it leaves."




 

No comments:

Post a Comment