Monday, July 20, 2009

Monday Morning Thoughts(Make it Rain)

Just coming off quite a busy last couple of days. We had 3 shows this weekend, which makes me feel like a little bit of an actual musician:)

* I got a first hand lesson this weekend as to what works and what doesn't work as far as making a live performance sound good. We played at the Doll Hut on Thursday and had a lot of trouble with feedback, monitors, and all sorts of stuff all night. The show went ok, but I spent 2 hours at Barnes and Noble the next morning reading about how to properly mic a stage with a bunch of instruments so that wouldn't happen again. No joke haha. You gotta learn to love the details.

* I was a little upset about how things went at the Doll Hut, not that it was a bad show by any means, but we all knew that the sound problems didn't allow us to really give people the type of show we would've liked to. But life is funny. At the end of the night we got asked to play the next night at The Gypsy Lounge, a place in Lake Forest I've wanted to get into for a while now. We happened to be celebrating my friend Pat's birthday that night as well and everything turned out better then we ever expected. 

* To add to that last point...I don't think the dance floor at Rudy's will ever be the same after what we did to it Friday night. 

*I got some great advice this weekend about all this music stuff..."One tough show or performance is not going to break you. And on the flip side one great show it not necessarily going to make you. It's what you do day- in and day- out over a long period of time that gets you somewhere." I obviously think applies to anything worth pursuing.

* Last night we ended the weekend with a show in Long Beach at the Blue Cafe. It went amazing. The sound was awesome. The fans were great as always and I got to perform a song with my cousin Andy who is back on leave from the Marines. I can't express enough how much fun I have being on stage with all my family and friends.

* My brother performed Prince's "Kiss" as a special guest at the show last night. We got the whole thing on video and it should be up on YouTube soon. All I'll say is, "You're welcome, world."

* I don't think I'll ever be able to end a show in a more dramatic fashion then how we did last night... During our last song a guy from the bar came up to the front of the stage and showered the stage with $1 bills... yes he literally made it "rain" on my sister's and I. I'm pretty sure it was meant more for my sister's, but who cares. It was $40 is $1 bills, not too shabby. Beat that John Mayer.

Have a great week.

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep."
-Scott R. Adams



No comments:

Post a Comment