Thursday, February 18, 2010

Mom and Dad

The past few months, I will admit, have not been easy. Pneumonia is cruel and wipes you completely off your feet. But it also allows time for some much needed reflection...


I couldn’t ask for a better set of parents.

They’ve shown what it is to work hard, dream, and do the right things.

They’ve been there every step of the way...



And when your cousin and best friend goes to war, your Mom lets you cry on her shoulder and assures you he’ll come home the same as he left.


And when people in your family get sick, your Dad shows you how to be a rock for others to lean on.


And when you realize you’re not gonna change the world by the time you’re 25, your Mom lets you know you’ve changed hers, and doesn’t take your CD out of her car for months.


And when you get upset about what life makes you sacrifice, you think about your Dad foregoing trying to climb a corporate ladder so he can make every one of you and your siblings basketball, soccer, gymnastics, and football games...and your Mom handing you a check to help you buy your first guitar because you think you might be able to write songs.


And when you find it hard to alway be humble, you remember your Dad going down to your high school at 5a.m. to pick up trash so your school would look more presentable that night at your basketball game against your cross-town rival...and never saying a word about it.


And when some things seem just too hard to accomplish, your Mom starts running Marathons.


And when you feel like at times you’re taking more steps sideways then forward toward a dream, you know your parents are 2-stepping with you.



The great one’s always leave something behind for those that follow after. They leave pictures, and songs, and advice, and failures, and long talks, and secret recipes, and dreams, and moments.


Oh they leave moments.


My parents will leave countless moments when they are gone someday.


And I don’t thank them enough for that.



6 comments:

  1. this is unbelievably touching, i'm going to be on you SO much more now to write in this thing more often. thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would your parents adopt me? haha j/k!

    Well said man, well said. Give them a big hug for me! Time for me to tell my parents the same thing!

    Hope all is well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are precious moments... When we are able to see what surrounds us, and most importantly who surrounds us, and appreciate it in the present moment... Thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the kind and thoughtful words, I appreciate it:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your parents rock. I always remember back in kindergarten when we went to the zoo that on the way home I asked your dad to hold my jello. Then I passed out on his lap, but when I woke up when we got back to sjb he gave me back my jello. :) that was a big deal for a 5 year old!

    ReplyDelete