Friday, April 20, 2012

"Windsor Blue" Meaning - Letter to the band

Over the past year we've been asked often what the meaning behind the title of "Windsor Blue" is, as well as the songs, so I thought I'd share something that might help explain.

Below is a letter that I wrote and gave to each person that worked on the album before we began recording last year. As always, I'd be happy to talk more about it to anyone either at a show or through email (dpkbooking @gmail.com). Thanks for reading and see you soon...


Windsor Blue

I want to start by saying thank you for being a part of this album. I’ve been so blessed to be surrounded by great people who have helped shape the music into something I’m truly proud of. I hope you will be as well.

I just wanted to give you a little background on the songs and what the album means to me, so that you might have a better understanding as to where I’m coming from, and more importantly, where I’d like to go.

I’ve probably done more research, listening, and reading, to find inspiration for these songs then any school project I’ve ever done. On my bookshelf right now you can find Mark Twain, Henry David Thoreou, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Walt Whitman, Ernest Hemmingway, the Bible, and many more. I’ve also tried to listen to countless classic albums from a variety of different artists. What I’ve taken from all these works is that things of value take time to get to, whether that be love, or art, or forgiveness. The good things, and I mean the real good things in life, like seeing your grandparents dance together after 50 years of marriage, or being able to hug your cousin when he gets back from war, take time to get to.

In the past year my life has changed more drastically then any of the years before it. I spent tons of hours on the road alone(California), I spent a lot of time with a terminally ill family member and their family(Summer Dress), I spent 7 long months praying my best friend and cousin would make it home safe from war(New York City Day, Isabelle), I’ve worked really hard on letting an old love go for good(Good-bye Waltz) , I wrote a song for one person(Castle Walls), I’ve tried to deal with the ups and downs of forging a career as a musician (Wait, Isabelle), and I tried to scratch the surface of what my family means to me(Quiet Love).

It is so hard to write a song. I spent hundreds of hours working on these songs. Then I tore them apart to try and make sure they still stood up to what I was trying to get at. And now I’ve brought them to you in the hopes that you could pour some of your own life stories into them. I am so thankful to all you have added to them and hope these songs bring you something in return.

“Windsor Blue” refers to a painting in the book Bluebeard by one of my favorite authors, Kurt Vonnegut. In the book, after years of trying, the main character finally paints his most beautiful work of art on a huge canvas. It is placed in the biggest and busiest building in New York City. After two years the type of paint he had used causes the painting to crumble until eventually the canvas is blank white again and is given back to him. 30 years later when he is about to pass away it is found that he has repainted a stunningly beautiful new picture on the old canvas. That picture ends up being what he is remembered for. The name of the first painting was called Windsor Blue #17.

I thought that summed up the album perfectly...how hard are you going to work for what you feel is truly important? And if that’s taken away, will you work even harder to get it back? Your failure and mistakes can turn out to be your biggest blessings, and you apparent triumphs can lead you down paths filled with more darkness then light.

And after all of our faults and failures, love and loss, there’s is always a chance to do better and create something of lasting value. There is always hope, always a chance to start again, always a Windsor Blue.

-Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment